We Stand with All Our Neighbors
Three Spinners is dedicated to welcoming refugees, immigrants, and all newcomers to our community with support and advocacy services when they are faced with the difficult task of starting their lives over in a new country and culture.
As we welcome 2018, we also remember an extraordinary year of service. Here are a few of the highlights:
- We identified safe housing and provided financial support for housing an asylum seeker and an Iraqi family of 5. Everyone deserves a safe and secure home.
- We provided over $20,000 in clothing or housing-related needs, including furniture for a family of 7 from Afghanistan. In total, 5 different families received Three Spinners support in 2017. Every family deserves to have their basic needs met.
- We co-hosted a Back-to-School Picnic and provided backpacks and school supplies for immigrant and refugee children from across the region, free of charge. Every child deserves to start the school year feeling confident and prepared.
- We added more dedicated members to our Board of Directors: Joseph Baldwin, Director of Development; Kima Kheirolomoom, Treasurer; Fatima Ahmed, Director; and Jane Kuntz, Director. Every human being deserves a dedicated community working tirelessly for good.
We create welcoming homes with donated furniture, clothing, and other household items.
In 2018, our goals are lofty:
- To acquire a house for offering short-term housing to refugee and immigrant families–and all newcomers in need–to our community. This plan will divert money used on rent in the past to more sustainable investments in our future.
- To provide scholarships for undocumented students and unaccompanied youth to Parkland College. Our “Education for All” initiative will allow us to invest in students that are often forgotten, the future of our community.
- To continue providing emergency services to all newcomers in our community. Our discretionary funds allow us to respond to last-minute needs for our friends and neighbors.
We believe that ALL newcomers deserve to feel welcome in the IL community, no matter the circumstance. As a friend of Three Spinners, we know you do, too.
As you consider your end-of-year charitable gifts, please remember Three Spinners. We would not be able to serve our neighbors without your generous support. Any and every amount is helpful.
Formed in 2015, the name of our organization comes from a Syrian folktale entitled “The Three Spinners,” recorded by Muna Imady. The story speaks of generosity, compassion, and humility.