Refugees in Champaign-Urbana
Due to the way refugee resettlement is currently organized in the US, refugees are restricted to live within a 50-100 mile radius of a resettlement center. Champaign-Urbana is currently falls outside of this radius, the closest centers being located in Chicago. For this reason, we are currently working to support these centers as well as secondary migrants who have chosen to move to our community.
Three Spinners and many other groups in the community have joined forces and are working to establish a Refugee Resettlement Program in Champaign-Urbana to promote the successful resettlement of all refugees admitted to the US under the Refugee Admissions Program.
Refugees will be provided assistance and support for the first thirty to ninety days after their arrival. The goals during this time include:
- providing refugees with basic necessities and core services,
- assisting them in achieving economic self-sufficiency through employment
Basic needs will also be provided by the resettlement agency during at least the first thirty days of resettlement. This support includes:
- assurance of decent, safe and sanitary housing and essential furnishings,
- provision of food and clothing,
- assisting in accessing appropriate health programs and a health screening,
- assistance in applying for public benefits and a Social Security Card,
- registering for ESL and school as appropriate,
- assistance in securing employment, including access to training and orientation
How can I help?
The more resources we are able to gather within our community, the more families we will be able to shelter and provide for. Please consider helping co-sponsor a family or donating clothes and daily items.