Education for All
Education for All is a scholarship program that provides international students from our local high schools who may not otherwise be eligible for financial support with the opportunity to pursue a degree at Parkland College.
We are pleased to be able to offer two such scholarships in the amount of $1000 per semester per student for the 2018-2019 academic year as well as a $500 stipend to help cover the cost of books, fees, or other needs related to the students’ education.
Recipients will be selected by an evaluation committee based on a holistic application process that considers not only the student’s academic record, but also their respective circumstances outside of the classroom and how those have shaped their professional ambitions. The Education for All scholarship will directly benefit first generation college applicants who demonstrate the ability to succeed in higher education and seek to secure a more stable future for themselves by pursuing a degree.
Who is eligible?
This scholarship’s intended purpose is to fund international students at local high schools that arrived in the U.S. as minors in their pursuit of higher education at Parkland College. The students must belong to the aforementioned category to qualify.
- The applicant must have resided in Illinois for at least one year prior to applying
- The applicant must be able to provide their “Offer of Admission” letter from Parkland College
- The applicant will ideally have a 2.5 GPA or higher and demonstrate working proficiency in English. Three Spinners is aware that precarious personal situations do not afford some international students the same opportunities to focus solely on their studies, as they may need to work long hours to provide for themselves and their families. Thus, this scholarship will not be heavily dependent upon GPA, and will instead focus on the essay portion of the application in which the applicant can share information about his/her extenuating circumstances and/or experiences as an immigrant
- Recipients must remain in good academic standing once enrolled in courses at Parkland College for the duration of the award
How do I apply?
For paper copies of applications and instructions on applying, contact your guidance counselor or liaison.
When is the application due?
The application for the 2018-2019 academic year is Friday, April 13th, 2018 at 5pm.
What are the application requirements?
- The application requires 2 letters of recommendations at minimum, but up to 3 will be accepted. 2 of these letters must come from the students’ current or previous teachers and the third may be non-academic or academic
- The applicant must provide essay responses (300-500 words per question) to the prompts provided by their guidance counselor and/or liaison
- The applicant must provide a current resume listing their academic achievements, language skills, honors/awards, volunteer and work experience, and any other relevant information demonstrating their ability to succeed at Parkland College
When will a decision be made?
Applicants will be notified about their application status no later than May 14th, 2018.
When and how will funds be awarded?
Award recipients will receive $1,000 per semester for the fall and spring semesters along with a one-time disbursement of $500 to cover the cost of administrative fees, books, and other educational materials. Awards will be disbursed before the start of the 2018 fall semester.
Who will have access to the personal information provided on the application?
All information provided by students to Three Spinners is strictly confidential and will not be made available to any governmental agencies or academic institutions.